Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Trip to the Library!

This is how our trip to the library went.
As soon as we crossed the threshold of the computer lab... Frankie shit his pants.
I can only imagine how the other lab patron felt. If I had known how our trip to the library was going to turn out like this, we wouldn't have gone. But I thought... (famous last words right?) thought I had a plan. Everyone has a plan until your toddler shits his pants.

Planning

You know, if you google “Planning activities to keep toddlers busy,” all that comes up is ideas for highly interactive and dirty activities. Anything from making your own play dough to something called a paper explosion. And there's next to nothing in way of tips to help me get work done.
When I planned our day, I took this into account. I also took into account that a trip to the library to watch dad work at what is normally dinner time... was way out of our normal routine. And kids love routines. Especially mine. So I hatched a plan. I tried to bring things that would create a safe and still exciting space for the kiddos. Crayons, activity books, DVDs, two toys each... The perfect plan.
I even took the environment into account. The night before our excursion, I checked to see if we'd be alone in the lab. The librarian said we would. So, I had hoped TJ and Frankie could draw, color or watch a DVD on my lap top, while I edited on the community Mac station.
Unfortunately, when we entered the library, I noticed someone else was using the room. “Great,” I thought. And for a moment I thought about just walking out. But, I had to get some stuff done. So we pressed on. We should have just left. You see I never planned for someone else to be in the lab with us. The activities I could have used to temper my children's energy were rendered invalid. Because I am often loud and distracting, every trick in my dad handbook goes out the window.
What you are left with is me working with one eye on the computer and the other on the kids. I was passing out shushing and “ looks” like Magic Johnson dished out basketballs in his prime.
So naturally, after 45 minutes... I realized I wasn't going to win. Kids are kids. They aren't supposed to worry about other people working in a library. Maybe next time they will have a higher level of understanding...

 Until then, I'll be going solo.  

No comments:

Post a Comment