Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Putting the kiddos to bed

Anyone else face off with a tasmanian devil when it's bed time?
Our little guy doesn't like going to bed much.
In fact, it's the time he does his most whining and crying.

I try to spin it by saying, "we should all cry at the end of each day.  Going to bed means that one more day of our life is gone."  But that's sentimental BS and though I mean it, I know no one else feels that way.

My son just doesn't want to be in bed.
Like most children, he stands against his crib wall, and cries.
So how do you settle the kiddos down?

I have found that staying on a routine is the best solution.
My wife likes to rock the little guy to sleep.
I just put him in his crib... straighten up the room a bit.
Tell him it's time to go to sleep... Then walk over and kiss his forehead, tell him to 'lay down' and walk out the door.  After his year birthday, I added another line... (we leave the hallway light on until he falls asleep, so I say) "OK, I'll be right outside the door, see I am leaving the light on."
Most likely, I do this for me only since our son probably doesn't understand.  But it's a routine.
After I leave the room, He'll usually starts to cry
 
Here is the key moment.
I wait the ceremonial 15 minutes, if the crying hasn't stopped, then I go back into his room and calm him down, lay him down and tell him good night again.  repeat the it's time to go to sleep now and light thing and then just leave.
No eye contact.
No lights on.
no nothing.

Quite honestly this works for us.  But then again, we have the perfect child.


Embarrassing fact: To set the relaxed mood, I sometimes even try to sing to the little one.
I have a terrible voice, but I tell myself, 'it's the intent that matters.'
To maintain a little levity I have even sung "Stay Awake" from Mary Poppins.

What methods do you use?

No comments:

Post a Comment